Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Place Value Fun!

Last week we had a lot of fun with place value.  I have the high math class this year.  We did a basic place value review earlier in the year, so now we built on that and expanded!  (get it, expanded! haha :) )

We had place value races.  Students were put in groups.  I put a number in word form on the board and they had to create the number with commas out the the numbers their group had.  It was a lot of fun!  They are begging me to play it again and again! haha!  My class is very competitive!  They must get that from their teacher! ;)

After it was in word form for a while, I even put some numbers on the board in expanded form and they had to create the number.  It was tricky for them at first, but then they got the hang of it and they are getting really good at expanded form!




Then, we played a little dice game that I made up.   I'm sure I'm not the first person that has created it.   It was nothing fancy, but again, the kids loved it.  They rolled the dice and every roll they were able to decide where to put the number.  Then, in the last column they had to write the number all together and read it.  Oh- it's not over yet.  They had to compare the number with their partners and decide which was great.  So many skills were being practiced and they had a blast!



We did a little match game using these free cards I found on TpT.


Then, we did some independent practice similar to the game.  I used this great freebie that I found on TpT.  Each student had a board and cut out numbers.  I put numbers in word and expanded form on the board, and they had to create the number.  We also played mystery number.


All in all, my kids had a great time and have some great understanding of place value.  I was one happy teacher! :)

If you'd like the numbers that my kids used for the number race game or the template I created for the dice game, send me an email at smilesfrom2ndgrade@hotmail.com or leave a comment.  I'd be happy to send it your way!

No comments:

Post a Comment