Saturday, February 9, 2013

Fantasy vs. Reality and Contraction Mon-STARs!

This past week we were working on fantasy vs. reality in reading.  The students had a lot of fun with this.  At first, they struggled coming determining reality in a story we were reading, but by the end of the week they were pros!

On Wednesday, the students each wrote one Fantasy and one Reality statement.  Then we folded them up and but them in bin.  Then we pulled them out and had to decide if they were fantasy vs. reality.  The students had a blast!  There were a few that really made them think but through some discussion we figured them out!

Here is our bin of reality and fantasy sentences.

Here are a few of their sentences.

I just had them write on pieces of white paper, but here is a quick template if you'd like!

I also pulled a bunch of books from the library.  Groups of students had to put the books in piles of fantasy vs. reality.  This was a Friday activity and they did a great job!  Sorry I don't have any pictures!

This week, we also had a blast with "not" contractions. It was a blast!  I created a contraction MON-STAR unit and wanted to test it out with my kids first.  I think their favorite activities were SCOOT and BUMP!  Again, I'm sorry- I really need to get better at taking pictures.  That is my goal for this week coming up!  Here is a preview of my contraction unit.  It's one of my FAVS for sure!!!
This 35 page unit includes...
-scoot game and recording sheet
-scavenger game and two recording sheets
-build a contraction
-contraction match-up/ memory (2 different options and recording sheet)
-contraction bump game
-3 contraction worksheets for practice
-contraction MON-STAR certificate


Have a great weekend!!!


1 comment:

  1. What an adorable idea! I bet your kids loved reading through those. They must have had the best time! Thanks for sharing that idea and thanks for visiting me! :)


    Kate
    Second Grade Sparkle

    ReplyDelete