Sunday, February 17, 2013

The Tiny Seed and A Freebie!

Who doesn't love Eric Carle?!  Right?!  I know!  It's always great fun when The Tiny Seed comes up in our Treasures Basal.  Not only do we do a bunch of activities with The Tiny Seed but we explore other Eric Carle books as well throughout the week.

Here is a glimpse at a fun project that the students LOVE!  After reading the story, we work on sequencing.  Students write about what happened first, next, then, last in the story.  We talk a lot about going through the seasons and the order in which the seed becomes a flower.  The students write out the order.  Then, they get to create a picture collage to go with their writing.  We talk about Eric Carle's style of illustrations and we use scrapbook paper to create similar collage like pictures.

The students have a blast and always shout out compliments to each other.  It's a win-win! :)  Here are some of my students' works in progress and finished products!


Click here for some reading response freebies that you could use in your classroom to create this project with your students!

Do you have any other great Eric Carle lessons or ideas?!



9 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the freebie, Katie! It looks like you all have had a wonderful week :) The scrapbook flowers are cute.

    Catherine
    The Brown-Bag Teacher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Catherine!!! :) I hope you can use the freebie!

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much, Catherine! :) I hope you can use the freebie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just thought I'd share that I just mentioned one of your freebies in my latest blog post! I am also excited to be your newest follower! Looking forward to sharing ideas, and thanks for inspiring some in my classroom!

    -Krista
    The Second Grade Superkids

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh my gosh!! That is so awesome and completely made my day!!! :-) Thanks, Krista!!! :)

      Delete
  4. oh my gosh!! That is so awesome and completely made my day!!! :-) Thanks, Krista!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute activity! I found you through the That's So Second Grade giveaway and I'm your newest follower!

    Thanks for sharing!
    Sarah
    The Fabulous First Grade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah!! Thanks for stopping by my little blog! :) I'm heading over to check out your blog now! :)
      -Katie :)

      Delete
  6. OOh I love this!! I could use this when I do an Eric Carle author study!!! Thank you, thank you!

    Ashley
    www.secondgradeparadise.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete