Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Techy Teacher Tuesday

I'm linking up with Katie at Queen of the First Grade Jungle for her Techy Teacher Tuesday linky! WOO!  I've been wanting to join this linky for a while- but I finally have some great ideas to share!



I went to an iPad workshop with a friend last week, and I got some new ideas.  Boy- did I wish that I had 1:1 iPads in my classroom- oh the possibilities.  It made me a little jealous, I'm not going to lie.  But- after I got over that, I tried to see what I could still use in my classroom.  

Great Classroom Apps

Sonic Pics 3.99
Let students be able to record their voice along with pictures.
This could be used to access student background knowledge, create projects, and assess!  Oh the possibilities!


Drawing Pad  $1.99
Doodle Buddy is free, but this app is well worth the money.  It has everything you need.  Students can draw their visualizations while you read to them, they can mark their thinking instead of using post it notes!  How about that!  


Comic Life  $1.99
Have students create comics or graphic novels.  AWESOME!
Don't have ipads- see below for my version of this on a regular computer!

ebook Magic  $2.99
This is a publishing tool for students.


Want to track student progress?  Have them take a screen shot and email it to you!  Set up a separate email account for the class to send so it doesn't clog up your home or school email. To take a screen shot- click the home button and the power button on top at the same time.  That was a new thing I learned- hope it helps someone else out!

Classroom Projects using Technology

Book Trailers
One thing I'm going to try with my high reading group this week is creating book trailers.  Here is one on Stone Fox, which we are just finishing up reading.  Here's my plan.  I'm gong to show them this one and we will talk about it.  Then, I will show them a few for some possible new books to read and let them choose their new book based on book trailers.  Then, I will have them work on a book trailer with a partner for a book they've read.  I'm really excited about this!  I think an important mini lesson in this will be the power that music can have!  I'm not sure if we'll use iMovie or photo story.  Like I said, it'll only be about 6 kids to start out- so we'll see! :)


This is obviously for older kids, but check out this Number the Stars book trailer. Makes me want to read it!


Comics (Graphic Novel Style)
Ok, so I fell in love with the Comic Life app.  However, like I said, I don't have 1:1 iPads in my classroom.  Let's be honest- I don't have any.  I have my one personal iPad that I have to make the most of!  So- why not create comics or graphic novels in power point!!  I was so excited when I had this AH-HA! moment.  Put the pictures in and then have students use the speech bubbles to create their own comic or graphic novel style!  This could be used as a new project, writing workshop project, or even a book report! :)

Kidblog.org
I know this isn't a new one, but I was reminded about it.  Let students share their thinking with each other.  Having someone (besides the teacher) respond to their thoughts makes it a whole new world.  Start small- just your class.  Then, expand the blog to include family members.  Next, find classrooms around the countries to share your ideas with!

Now- what I realized is just so important for kids by using the internet and some of these apps is that kids now have a huge audience for their work.  What a fabulous thought. Kids really love the fact that they can share their work not only with their peers, parents, but now...the world!  HOW POWERFUL!

I'll be back next week with some more great apps, but for now it's time to relax and watch the snow continue to fall!  :)  So pretty!

2 comments:

  1. Just found your blog through 'That's So Second Grade's' giveaway! Love it!!

    -Ciera
    adventuresofroom129.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ciera!! Thanks so much for stopping by! :) Good luck with the giveaway! I love your blog! :)

      Delete